Tuesday, December 9, 2008

Baseball in November


There is nothing quite like playing baseball in November. I must say, it is the highlight of my year. This all started in 1993 when I was invited to go to Orlando, Florida to play in the Roy Hobbs World Series. That first year our team went 1-5, but it was amazing. I was hooked.
Now every year our team goes to Florida to play a week long tournament at the Boston Red Sox and Minnesota Twins spring training complex' in Fort Myers, Florida.
This year our team had no pitching. I had thrown in just one inning prior to the tournament due to finger and shoulder injuries. What's weird is I had the most innings pitching of anyone on our staff. In other words, no one else had even thrown one inning.
I was shocked that our pitching held up. It was our hitting that hurt us. We had a hard time adjusting to wood bats. We went 2-5 in the tournament, but we only really lost one game. Our first game we lost 10-0, but after that we should have won three other games.
We lost in the second round of the tournament, but more than the wins and losses was the good times and good company. I loved going out on the beach and listening to live music.
One night we went to Coconut Fest, a huge town festival that Derek Wright called Strawberry Days on steroids. Survivor was playing an outdoor concert. It was a lot of fun. The whole week was a lot of fun.
Over the years I have made some of the best friendships of my life playing baseball. I love the guys on my team. We have a bond that comes from years of playing together. It is really what sports are about. When the tournaments and seasons are over, the friendships are what endures. I could go play with other teams and other tournaments, but that's not that fun.
Playing baseball with a group of friends, guys whom you choose to play with, makes all the difference. The jokes, the laughter, the food and the companionship. It can't be beat.
As time goes on, I don't remember so much the wins and loses, but I'll never forget the people I play with.

No comments: