Sunday, June 6, 2010

Finally getting a hit


I don't feel like I've done a lot of great things in my life. I doubt I will ever get to that point where I can sit down and say 'wow, you did good.'
I hope I'm getting closer. Last week I stood on the baseball field at Utah Valley University with the Palfreyman family and awarded Austin Haws the Dave Palfreyman scholarship.
I was honored to be part of it. It gave me a glimpse of perhaps what could be. It is a small scholarship, but it will help Austin continue to chase his dream of playing baseball at UVU and that was nearly taken away from him nine months ago by a drunk driver.
Austin broke his neck in the accident and was nearly killed. But he's making a comeback now and with the Second Chance Foundation of Utah and the Palfreyman family we can help his comeback.
I couldn't think of anything I would rather do than have a hand in some small way helping Austin. It may not have been a home run, it's not some grandiose accomplishment, but it was a hit for me and I hope it's the starting of a long hitting streak.

No comments: